Many people these days are looking to buy a vacuum cleaner suitable for the elderly. But this task is not as easy as it seems, because the UK market is over saturated with so many vacuum cleaners.
But, how do you know which one of them is the best vacuum for elderly?
This article will answer that question while simultaneously reviewing your choices to make your purchase easier.
What Makes Your Vacuum Lightweight & Elderly Suitable?
There are several features that make your vacuum lightweight, but the most prominent one is the weight. Now, for us to analyze the features that make a vacuum lightweight using weight as a standard we have to know how heavy and light a vacuum can be. And research has shown that some top lightweight vacuum cleaners weigh a minimum of 2kg and a maximum of 10kg. However, it seems logical to get a vacuum in between both weights as an average. But, this should not make you ignore other fundamental features of a lightweight vacuum for seniors; like the efficiency, ease of pushing, and many more.
5 Best Lightweight Vacuum Cleaners in UK (Reviews)
On this article, we will review 5 best vacuums for the elderly. The vacuums to be reviewed below are not just suitable for the elderly but for people with bad backs and arthritis sufferers, seems like an all in one package right. Below are the recommended top best five vacuums for the elderly;
1. Dyson V7 Motorhead Cordless Handheld Vacuum
When scouting for a good lightweight vacuum for seniors, there are only a few of them that pass the “elderly” test. The Dyson V7 is one. It comes in a box of one, with its slim futuristic appearance and lightweight made, it is established to deep clean carpets, and use its powerful suction power to suck up pet hairs. This is a plus for a vacuum to be used by an elder because they are literally inseparable from their pet. You want not only a lightweight vacuum but you also want to buy one with other features that will further add to the ease of use for the senior. So, on that note let’s see features of the Dyson V7.
- It is cordless. And that means hassle-clear, we all know what it is like to use a vacuum with a cord. It can quickly get tangled and the reach is just as long as the cords. But, this is not so for the Dyson V7, its distance is infinite because there is no cord, this also gets rid of the danger of the senior tripping over tangled cords
- It can easily be used as a hand-held vacuum for the curtains and sofa. This feature is a definite plus. Because, it can be an issue to teach an elderly how to use different technological mechanisms for different purposes, so check out that burden from your list by getting the Dyson V7.
- With the powerful suction of the Dyson V7, one would expect it to sound like a truck. However, this is not so, as the vacuum cleaner is made of lightweight but strong sound absorbing material that reduces the noise by over 50%.
- It weighs just 4.04kg
- It is lightweight making it suitable for arthritis sufferers.
- It transforms into a hand-held suction machine, making it the perfect all in one vacuum for a person with a bad back.
- It is not expensive, so if you are on a budget, then you are at the right place.
- Though the v7 has a powerful suction power, the bin is very small and one has to empty it quite often.
- It is small.
- It struggles to pick up larger debris, so one might have to get those off the carpet in another way.
2. The Shark Cordless Stick Vacuum [IF200UK]
There are several options in the market for a vacuum but only the best is being analyzed on this list today. And one of them is the Shark Cordless Stick Vacuum. This vacuum impresses with its flawless working mechanisms, and its features will blow you away. They have described it as a cordless revolution, and the features will show you why.
- It can bend. This makes it the perfect vacuum for a person with a bad back. Because instead of them to bend just to get to those hard to reach areas and stressing their back which is bad. The vacuum bends for them, and it does this stylishly with no stress.
- Because it is so small it can reach everywhere and can be stored anywhere. Being that the Shark Cordless free stands on its own and bends to reach almost impossible areas, it can also be folded to fit tight and small places. An advantage for someone with a small home space.
- It has a rechargeable lithium battery which can be charged literally anywhere in the house. Each charge gives one an approximately 22 minutes worth of time to use the vacuum without connecting it to a power source.
- It features a duo clean mechanism that works perfectly on hard floors and stiff carpets. And weighing just 4kg, it does quite a lot for its size.
- It is very small and easy to handle.
- It bends, therefore the user does not have bend to get to hard to reach places.
- It is inexpensive and easy to store.
- It does not deep clean well.
- It has a short usage span off charge.
- The hand-held component of the vacuum is not the most comfortable to use, because it can be bulky.
3. Gtech AirRam MK2 Cordless Vacuum
We all know the elderly can be a little stuck in the past with their home appliances and everything technology related. And if you have been looking for a perfect way to introduce them to something new and definitely less bulky, then the Gtech AirRam is the way to go. It has great features that can convince even the most elderly to toss out their old and bulky vacuum for something more new and stylish.
- Cordless is the new technological breakthrough in the vacuum world, and the Gtech AirRam is not left behind. No more tangled cords, and no more limited vacuum areas.
- It moves easily as it features a revolutionary gliding design that allows it to move almost effortlessly reaching every nook and crevice of your house.
- It picks up both large and small debris all thanks to its powered brush head that is equipped with the new unique AirLOC system.
- It also features a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that can run for 40 minutes after a full charge. And it weighs 4.36kg
- It is lightweight and inexpensive.
- It has a headlight that enables the user to see the dark corners of the house making it easier for them to clean better.
- It moves effortlessly while picking up all sizes of debris.
- It is not as powerful as other hand vacuums, reducing the amount of debris it can pick up at a time.
- It is less versatile than a stick vacuum.
- It does not pick up pet hairs as effortlessly as the other stick vacuum.
4. Vax U90-MA-Re Air Reach Upright Vacuum.
The Vax Air Reach is one of the best low budget upright vacuum cleaner you can find in the market, suitable for a senior. It weighs little making it easy for it to be carried around by people with a bad back, which is something almost every elderly person has. It has been rated a five star for almost every feature it owns. This leads us to some features of the Vax U90.
- It does not lose suction in between the mouth of the vacuum and the floor when vacuuming, keeping the suction power at max throughout.
- It is powerful in picking up both small and large debris effortlessly. Do not let the size of the vacuum trick you into thinking bigger debris will be a problem because it is definitely not.
- It also features a multi-cyclonic technology, this means it can be used across several surfaces facing no problem, making cleaning the home more effective.
- It is lightweight, making it an easy to push vacuum for the elderly. And it weighs just 5kg.
- It is not expensive, so if you are on a budget this is the vacuum for you.
- It works across several surfaces, so you do not have to change a vacuum for each surface. Which can be trouble for anybody,
- It has quite a large debris capacity, so you will not need to empty it now and then, it gives you time to actually finish vacuuming before having to offload accumulated debris.
- It has a cord, though 10 meters long if your house is big it limits the area you can cover without having to switch a socket.
- It does not feature an auto shut off so if one happens to leave it on, it will work itself into overheating and might be a possible danger hazard.
- It is not exactly power efficient as it consumes a lot of energy, so if you want to save power, this might not be the vacuum for you.
5. Shark Corded Stick Vacuum Cleaner [HV390UK]
The shark corded stick vacuum is as powerful as it sounds and multi-functional in diverse ways. This vacuum is just as powerful as its cordless partner but differs in some ways. The Shark Corded Stick Vacuum has several features that make it an amazing contender. Here are some of them.
- It features two brush rolls both made for two different but specific reasons. One is made to replace the vacuum front wall and pull in larger debris while the second roller is meant for smaller finer debris. Pulling out every single dirt in its path.
- It features flexibility technology, and with one click you can get under any low-lying furniture with no hassle.
- It can be compacted making it easy to store anywhere in the house.
- It weighs just 4kg, so it is easy to push and move around anywhere.
- Its motorized pet tools make it the best at removing pet hairs from surfaces.
- It converts to a hand-held vacuum making it easy to reach high places and ridding the whole house of debris.
- It has several other accessories like a dusting brush, adding to the list of things one can do with it.
- It features a cord that limits distance and mobility.
- It is very expensive.
- It is not as compact as its cordless counterpart.
How to Choose the Best Lightweight Vacuum in UK
If you want to go shopping for a vacuum, here are a few guides that can help you get the perfect one.
Easy to push.
Sometimes the rolling mechanisms of a vacuum can make it hard to push, making one’s job of vacuuming harder than it should be. To know if your vacuum will be easy to push, you can request for a tryout at the shop you are buying it from or maybe even go online to see reviews from people who have used them before.
Corded Vs. Cordless.
Some vacuums are cordless [they do not have cords but rather work with batteries]. While others are corded [they have cords and do not work with batteries] this also means that corded vacuum only works with electricity, and if there is no electricity, it will stop working. So keep this in mind before buying a new vacuum.
Lightweight vs. Heavyweight
Some vacuum weighs as little as 2kg while others weigh as much as 10kg. So if you are an arthritis sufferer or you have a bad back, or you want a lightweight vacuum for seniors, then you must focus on finding lightweight vacuums. Usually weighing 2-5kg. But if you want something more heavy, then look for the heavyweight vacuums.
Bagless vs. Bagged vacuums.
A bagged vacuum is made in such a way it holds more dirt and releases less dust when being emptied. But this usually means you have to spend extra cash buying more bags. The bagless vacuum, on the other hand, does not use bags rather it uses filters, and this filters need to be replaced periodically and cleaned always.
Compactable vs. Non-compactable.
Some vacuum cleaners are not as compactable as other. Meaning some can be compressed into smaller versions of themselves making it easier to store. While other keep their form and cannot be compacted, another guide to keep in mind while vacuum shopping.
We hope that you take with you this sincere reviews given above, and the guide given to you, to the malls and online stores too, when you want to buy a vacuum and use it to select the most suitable and best lightweight vacuum cleaner for elderly in the UK.